Consular Affairs


Transit Visa for Non-Thai Nationals

October 2011


Non-Thai nationals wishing to apply for a transit visa should submit the documents listed below. If you have not read General Information for Non-Thai Nationals yet, please see it carefully before preparing your application.

  1. Passport (with minimum 2 blank pages and with re-entry permit to Thailand. Please present your old passports, if any)
  2. Application form is available at JVAC or can be downloaded herePDF file
  3. One photograph taken within the last 6 months. (The photo must be 2 x 1.4 inches, black and white or color with plain background)
  4. Questionnaire is available at JVAC or can be downloaded here
  5. One of the following sets of documents dated not more than 3 months before the date of application.
    1. For a business person:
      Work permit issued by the Thai government (the original and one photocopy with all stamped pages) and
      Certificate of employment from your company including position, salary, and the date of joining (original) or Certificate of commercial registration of your company (a certified copy)
    2. For a student:
      Certificate of enrolment from your school in Thailand (original)
    3. For a dependent:
      Certificate of employment or Certificate of commercial registration of your spouse or guardian (original or a certified copy)
  6. Bank pass book belonging to yourself, your parents, or your spouse
    The original and one photocopy with all transaction pages
    (Showing your bank book is required in the case of traveling at your own expense. However, exemption applies if you are either a public servant, employee of a government enterprise or public company, employee of a university or other academic institute, and confirmed to be earning more than 20,000 baht per month.)
  7. Confirmed air ticket (original with fixed date and routing including name of Japanese airport to be used en route)
    In the case of e-ticket, please bring a printout which clearly shows that you have already purchased it.
  8. A valid visa or residence card for the subsequent destination country.
  9. If you meet a certain criteria for a representative to apply on your behalf, please check the following details.
    In case a representative is applying on your behalf, you need to submit an authorization letter (English) (Japanese) (Thai) PDF written by yourself.


  1. If the documents are insufficient or incomplete, we may not be able to accept your application.
  2. On the date of application, JVAC will hand you a receipt in exchange for your passport and you will find the collection date of your passport on the receipt. The average time required for the necessary examination is 5 working days, but in some cases the Embassy will request additional documents or an interview, which will take longer. If you have not heard from us more than 10 days after your application, you can call us and check progress by quoting the 8 digit barcode number on your receipt.
  3. For more information, please contact JVAC or the Embassy by phone. English speaking staff will assist you.