Consular Affairs


Long Term Stay or Working Visa with Certificate of Eligibility (COE) (for Non-Thai Nationals)

October 2011


Non-Thai nationals wishing to apply for a long term stay or working visa should obtain a Certificate of Eligibility (COE) from an immigration office located in Japan before applying for a visa. If you have not read General information for Non-Thai Nationals yet, please see it carefully before preparing your application.


Necessary documents are as follows;

  1. Passport (with minimum 2 blank pages and with re-entry permit to Thailand. Please present your old passports, if any)
  2. Application form is available at JVAC or can be downloaded herePDF file
  3. One photograph taken within the last 6 months. (The photo must be 2 x 1.4 inches, black and white or color with plain background)
  4. Questionnaire is available at JVAC or can be download here
  5. Certificate of eligibility (original and a photocopy)
  6. If you meet a certain criteria for a representative to apply on your behalf, please check the following details.
    In case a representative is applying on your behalf, you need to submit an authorization letter (English) (Japanese) (Thai) PDF written by yourself.


  1. If the documents are insufficient or incomplete, we may not be able to accept your application.
  2. On the date of application, JVAC will hand you a receipt in exchange for your passport and you will find the collecton date of your passport on the receipt. The average time required for the necessary examination is 5 working days, but in some cases the Embassy will request additional documents or an interview, which will take longer. If you have not heard from us more than 10 days after your application, you can call us and check progress by quoting the 8 digit barcode number on your receipt.
  3. For more information, please contact JVAC or the Embassy by phone. English speaking staff will assist you.