Consular Affairs


Temporary Visitor Visa for Business Purposes (for Non-Thai Nationals)

October 2011


Non-Thai nationals wishing to apply for a temporary visitor visa for the purpose of business, conferences, short term training or observation tours should submit the documents listed below. If you have not read General Information for Non-Thai Nationals yet, please see it carefully before preparing your application.

  1. Passport (with minimum 2 blank pages and with re-entry permit to Thailand. Please present your old passports, if any)
  2. Application form is available at JVAC or can be downloaded herePDF file
  3. One photograph taken within the last 6 months (The photo must be 2 x 1.4 inches, black and white or color with plain background)
  4. Questionnaire is available at JVAC or can be downloaded here
  5. Work permit issued by the Thai government (the original and one photocopy with all stamped pages)
  6. One of the following sets of documents dated not more than 3 months before the date of application
    1. Certificate of employment from your company including position, salary, the date of joining, and letter stating purpose and duration of visit (original) or
    2. Certificate of commercial registration of your company (a certified copy)
  7. Documents clarifying your business activities in Japan
    1. Letter of invitation/acceptance from your counterpart, customer, or parent company in Japan (including purpose and duration) or parent company in Japan (including the purpose and duration)
    2. In case of short term training please submit the letter of acceptance and training schedule from the trainer in Japan including detailed training schedule, place of training, and name and contact number of the trainer in charge. Please clearly indicate whether or not there will be any practical training and any remuneration payable to the trainee from the Japanese side. Please refer to remark No.3 for the definition of "short term training" (Photocopies of documents (a)-(c) are acceptable if sent from Japan)
  8. Itinerary
  9. In the case the inviting person/guarantor in Japan bears for travel expenses, a guarantee letter and an certified copy of the incorporation register or Details of Company/Organization are also required.
  • A stock exchanged-listed company does not need to submit a copy of the incorporation register or Details of Company/Organization if it submits its quarterly corporate reports.
  • When an individual is extending an invitation, submit the "Certificate of Employment" in lieu of a copy of incorporation register or Details of Company/Organization.
  1. If you meet a certain criteria for a representative to apply on your behalf, please check the following details.
    In case a representative is applying on your behalf, you need to submit an authorization letter PDF (English / Japanese / Thai)  written by yourself.


  1. If the documents are insufficient or incomplete, we may not be able to accept your application.
  2. On the date of application, JVAC will hand you a receipt in exchange for your passport and you will find the collection date of your passport on the receipt. The average time required for the necessary examination is 5 working days, but in some cases the Embassy will request additional documents or an interview, which will take longer. If you have not heard from us more than 10 days after your application, you can call us and check progress by quoting the 8 digit barcode number on your receipt.
  3. If any part of your intended training includes "practical training", you should apply for a "training visa" rather than "temporary visitor visa" regardless the length of the training. If the trainee joins a product line or provides services directly to customers, the training should be considered as "practical training". Also, if there is any remuneration payable to the trainee other than normal travel expenses, or any profit to the trainer (e.g. parent company in Japan) as a result of the trainee's activities, it is not considered as short term training under the category of "temporary visitor visa". To apply for a "training visa", you need to obtain a "certificate of eligibility (COE)" from the Japanese Immigration Office.
  4. For more information, please contact JVAC or Visa Section by phone. English speaking staff will assist you.